Looking for a convenient breakfast to incorporate into your weekly meal plan? This week’s dish is not only quick to prep, but is yet another versatile recipe that allows the home chef to interchange seasonal ingredients, making it a win-win for both the parents and kiddos!
In addition to offering softened butter along with classic maple syrup to top off these fluffy pancakes, I wanted to to give this dish some springtime color and flavors. Once I arrived at the local fruit and vegetable stand, I knew immediately what I was going to make. As far as the eye could see, fresh, bright red strawberries lined the fields, and tall, crisp, stalks of ruby red rhubarb stood front and center.
This week on the menu – Whole wheat pancakes (just look at the color of them on this video) served with a homemade rhubarb strawberry sauce. A simple, fluffy batter made from scratch served with a tart, sweet sauce. Want to really wow your guests? Layer each pancake with a spoonful of the delectable, sweet sauce, a dollop of creme fraiche or unsweetened whipped cream, and finish with just-picked mint from the garden. You can’t get more local and fresh in my book, making this a true example of farm to fork cooking.
- If you do not own Bull’s commercial style griddle, not to worry. Try placing Bull’s Stainless Pro Grill Griddle directly on top of the Bull grill grates. Preheat the griddle for 15 minutes on high heat, and you have the perfect griddle top to make these delicious pancakes!
- In addition to pancakes, I love adding the rhubarb strawberry sauce on top of ice cream, homemade cakes, and don’t forget the french toast and waffles! The sauce can even be added to spring themed cocktails, perfect for brunch season. Let’s watch the sauce’s progress in this video!!
- If cooking for a large group, I will turn my oven on low heat (around 200 degrees), and place the cooked pancakes into a heat proof container. This will keep them warm until the rest of the pancakes are done and ready to serve, nice and hot!
- Place a medium saucepan over high heat using Bull’s Side Kick Cart Side Burner. Add the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, water, lemon juice and zest and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, until the rhubarb is tender and soft and the sauce has reduced down to half. Once done, remove from the heat and allow the sauce to cool. Place in decorative sauce serving vessel and place alongside or on top of the pancakes.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1⅔ cups whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- Softened butter for serving
- Rhubarb strawberry sauce for serving
- Creme fraiche or unsweetened whipped cream for serving
- For the Batter: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl add the milk, melted butter, vanilla and egg. Mix together wet ingredients. Next slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, and with a wire whisk, combine everything together until a smooth batter forms.
- For Making the Pancakes: Preheat Bull's Commercial Griddle on medium-heat for 15 minutes. Make sure the surface area is clean using Bull’s Pro Style Griddle Cleaning Tool Set. Now, grease the cleaned surface area with butter. Using a ⅓ cup as a portion for each pancake, pour the batter onto the hot griddle. Using the back part of the measuring cup, spread the batter out, gently creating a round shape pancake. Take Bull's Soft Grip Spatula and flip the pancakes over once the bottom is golden in color and the top surface of the batter bubbles all over. Repeat with remaining batter-pancakes. To serve, layer the pancakes with the rhubarb strawberry sauce, fresh whipped cream, and just picked mint from the garden and time to devour immediately!
♥ Chef Amy
I loved this post.I read your blog fairly often and you’re always
coming outt with some great stuff. I shared this on my Facebook and my followers loved it!
Keep up the good work!!! 🙂
I like the valuable info you provide in your
articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again here frequently.
I’m quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
sac longchamp solde says
Hello, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write a little comment to support you.