Grilling a Chocolate Chile Flank Steak is one of my favorite steaks to serve when entertaining family and friends. It’s an amazing combination of flavors that is always a crowd-pleaser. The meaty flavor of a Bull Grill’s grilled flank steak really pairs nicely with a combination of sweet & spicy and from the chocolate chile BBQ sauce.
The trick when cooking flank or skirt steak is not to overcook it. In this case, higher heat is your friend rather than going low and slow method. Since flank steak can easily overcook I normally serve it rare to medium and slice it against the grain. When grilling you also want to avoid flare-up so I lightly pat dry my meat with paper towels before I place it on the grill. Since flank steak is lean I try to find one that has the most marbling when I’m shopping at the store.
- 1 -2 lb Flank Steak
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked Salt
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- Chocolate Chili Barbeque Sauce Ingredients
- 2 cups Barbeque Sauce (store bought)
- ½ tsp Chipotle Powder
- ¼ cup Chocoalte Melted
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- Preheat the Bull Grill to medium- high heat. In a bowl, combine chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic, cocoa, paprika, and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine barbeque sauce, chipotle powder, red wine vinegar, and melted chocoalte, set aside for later use. Remove steak from the fridge and pat dry.
- Drizzle oil on both sides of the steak, and apply rub liberally, pressing and rubbing firmly.
- Place steak on the preheated grill, flipping every 60-90 seconds to avoid burning the sugar on the steak. Cook to desired internal temperature and remove from heat and wrap in foil to rest 10-15 minutes. Once the steak has rested cut into strips against the grain.
- Serve steak with Chocolate Chili Barbeque Sauce.