From a romantic evening to havings friends over for cocktails a Tri-Tip Steak marinated in a flavorful Blood Orange marinade with a Kale & Fennel Pesto is the perfect dinner. Combing the flavors of Bull Grills grilled citrus and tri-tip steak is an amazing combination. The key to grilling Tri-Tip is not overcooking it which is why I use the hot and fast method on my Bull Grill. Bull Grills amazing & even heat distrubition make grilling a breeze.
- 2 Tri Tip Steaks
- 2 Cup Grilled Blood Orange Juice
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce or Coco Aminos
- 1/2 Cup Avocado Oil
- 1/4 Cup Za’atar Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp Sea Salt
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl until it’s thoroughly combined. Place the marinade and steak in a large storage bag.
- Place the meat & marinade in the fridge overnight if possible but a couple hours is ok.
- Remove the meat from the fridge about 30 minutes before you plan on grilling. Place it on a Bull Grill that's been preheated to medium-high heat. The trick with tri-tip is you want to grill it hot and fast so it doesn’t overcook . I normally cook it for about 4 minutes on each side or until I have nice grill marks but it really depends on its thickness. It’s a good idea to monitor the temps so you reach your desired doneness. I normally cook my steak slightly below my target temp because of carryover cooking and so that I can use the tri-tip for leftovers.
- Once the steak is at your desired temp remove it from the Bull Grill and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing it. Remember when it’s time to slice to cut it thin and against the grain. Be aware on a tri tp steak the grain changes direction at the wider part.
- Serve with our Kale & Fennel Pesto
- 4 Cups Kale loosely packed
- 1/2 Cup Grilled Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/4 Cup Fennel Fronds
- 1/2 Cup Peppitas
- 1/2 Cup Shaved Manchego
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tsp White Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place all the ingredients together in a food processor. Pulse until you’ve reached the desired constancy.
- Store in fridge until needed.
- Serve with Tri Tip Steak or other meats.