Just thinking about this week’s recipe makes my mouth water. When I was growing up, artichokes were one of my favorite vegetables to eat. Enjoyed even more as an adult, a simple artichoke can be easily enhanced by the flavor from the hot flames of a Bull BBQ along with drizzled olive oil, minced garlic, and grilled lemon. Folks, I must say, this is a delicious dish to enjoy on warmer evenings! Pair this delightful recipe with a dry white wine or rosé… who’s joining me in my Bull outdoor kitchen tonight?
- To kick these grilled artichokes up a notch in flavor, try serving my roasted garlic or ancho aioli recipe alongside this grilled treat.
- Try roasting the artichokes in Bull’s extra large pizza oven to enhance the flavor with smoky tones from the wood fired oven.
Grilled Garlic Artichokes
Author: Amy Aberle-Rogan
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 2 - 4 large artichokes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemon, sliced in half (reserve 1 for grilling)
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- To Clean Artichokes: Have sliced lemon ready for the artichokes. Using kitching scissors, trip away the pointy tips of the artichoke leaves. Rub the lemon on the exposed, cut area of the artichoke to prevent it from turning brown from oxidation. Using a paring knife or peeler, trim away outer section of the stems. Rub with lemon right away. Cut about 1 ½ inches of the stem off from the bottom, repeat with lemon. Cut artichokes in half. Rub with lemon. Using a grapefruit spoon with jagged tip, remove the fuzzy chokes and smaller inner artichoke leaves. Repeat with lemon all over.
- To Steam Artichokes: Fill a large pot with about 1 ½ inches of water. Add bay leaves and some of lemon wedged into water. Place a steam rack into the bottom of the put and turn the heat onto high. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium and place the artichoke halves, face side down onto the rack. Cover with a lid and steam cook for about 15-20 minutes. Depending on the size of the artichokes, the leaves should pull away easily at this point.
- To Grill: Preheat your Bull grill on high heat for 10 minutes. Using Bull's tongs, remove the artichokes halves and place onto a sheet pan. In a small bowl add the olive oil, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Using the Bull basting brush, brush the mixture all over the artichokes. Season with more salt and pepper. Clean grill grates with Bull's monster brush and with a oiled rag and tongs, coat cleaned grill grates for grilling. Turn the heat down to medium high. Place the artichokes and lemon face side down and allow them to grill for 6 - 10 minutes, until nicely charred and grill marks form.
- To serve: Place artichokes onto decorative platter. Squeeze grilled lemon all over, drizzle with high quality extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
♥ Chef Amy
Count me in. Always steamed but this sounds tasty!