With the summer almost here I love noshing on a fresh salad full of flavor and crunch. One of my favorite summer salads is a grilled heirloom tomato & purple daikon burrata salad. It has the right balance of crunch & richness that makes it the perfect salad to enjoy with dinner or on its own. What makes the salad really sing is grilling the combination of heirloom tomatoes and pairing it with crisp purple daikon topped with velvety burrata cheese.
Burrata has been one of my favorite cheeses for a long time now. It’s a soft smooth shell of cheesy goodness surrounding a creamy center. Although both Italian & similar to mozzarella in appearance burrata is softer, more delicate, and has more complex flavors. Because burrata is a step above mozzarella and doesn’t have the same melting properties it shouldn’tt be grilled but it does complement grilled veggies & meats extremely well.
Purple daikon radish is one of my favorite root vegetables to grill on a Bull Grill. They are a little milder than your typical daikon but with just the right amount of spicy kick that lends perfectly to grilling. Purple daikon is also extremely nutritious and lower in carbs than your typical root vegetable. Purple daikon can be a little overpowering if not paired with other foods and sliced thinly.
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 pound purple daikon sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- 1 ball of burrata cheese
- Brush daikon and heirloom tomatoes with olive oil.
- Place daikon and heirloom tomatoes on a medium preheated Bull Grill.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side or until you’ve developed grill marks.
- Remove tomatoes & daikon from heat and cool to desired heat level. Can be served warm or chilled in the fridge.
- Layer your salad with tomatoes, daikon, & basil. Season with olive oil, garlic, salt, and cracked pepper. Place burrata in the center of your salad.