Spring is in bloom, and the season is about to explode upon us. Blossoms line the streets, longer evenings and tropical sunsets paint the skies, and my favorite – fresh, green asparagus – is on full display in the markets, waiting to be devoured. This week’s recipe is the perfect appetizer or side dish for this spring, a simple recipe that will leave a lasting impression in texture and flavor (see video!!)
This week on the menu – crispy asparagus served with a roasted garlic aioli. Baked in your Bull BBQ, these healthy asparagus fries are addictive and a great alternative when craving greasy french fries. Serve the crispy spears with a delicious flavored aioli, and you have the perfect dish for this upcoming Easter holiday!
- To save on time, use prepared mayonnaise for the aioli, adding the lemon, roasted garlic and seasoning to finish.
- I use Bull’s sweet heat dry rub to season the flour. It is very important to season the flour, eggs and panko in order to create flavorful, crispy asparagus flavor bombs!
- If asparagus isn’t your thing, try substituting with another vegetable that suits your palate, like green beans.
- For the Roasted Garlic Aioli:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head roasted garlic, minced into a paste
- For the Crispy Asparagus Spears:
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus, fresh, raw, ends trimmed
- ¾ cups panko crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- ½ cup flour, all-purpose
- 3 tablespoons Bull’s sweet heat dry rub
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Pinch fresh cracked black pepper
- For the Roasted Garlic Aioli: Mince and form a paste for the roasted garlic. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, and dijon mustard. On the side, combine the oils. Slowly drizzle the oil mixture into the egg yolk mix, whisking until emulsified and the aioli forms. Whisk in the roasted garlic paste, season with salt and pepper. Cover and set in fridge till time to use
- For the Crispy Asparagus Spears: Preheat the Bull BBQ for indirect heat. Turn the two outside knobs to high, leaving the two center knobs off. Close the lid and allow the grill to preheat to 375-400 degrees.
- Using disposable aluminum pie tins or baking sheets with a lip, create a 3-part station for preparing the asparagus.
- In one tin, place the flour along with the Bull rub and mix well. In the second tin, add the whisked egg, and in the third tin add the panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the asparagus, in batches, into the flour, dusting off any excess flour. Next dip into the egg, allowing any extra egg to drip off. To finish, place into the panko mixture. Press down without bruising the asparagus, getting as much of the panko mix all over the asparagus.
- Place a wire rack onto a baking sheet and place the coated asparagus in a single layer onto the sheet. Hold the ends of the breaded asparagus when moving onto the wire rack to prevent any of the coating from coming off of the spears.
- Open the lid, place the sheet down in the middle of the grill for indirect baking and close the lid quickly so little heat escapes.
- Cook for 14-16 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- To serve, place on the Bull stainless serving platter along with the roasted garlic aioli.
💕 Chef Amy