This year I wanted to do something a little different than the usual “take Mom to brunch” Mother’s Day. This year, not only do I want to celebrate with my mom, but also my grandma, sisters, aunts and friends. So we’re gonna do things a little different… a spread of food featuring Grilled Blueberry Polenta with a Warm Honey Butter Glaze and also some Spicy Orange-Scented Breakfast Sausage. Both need to prepped the day before so all you have to do Sunday morning is sneak out of bed and fire up the grill!
Polenta is pretty much Italian for cornmeal mush. It is generally found near the hot cereals or in the baking aisle of the grocery store. Grits would certainly work just as well, but the yellow color of the polenta is much prettier and after all, it is Mother’s Day…
- For polenta:
- 3¾ cups water
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon neutral flavored oil
- For honey-butter glaze:
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- For serving:
- Spicy Orange-Scented Breakfast Sausage
- Line a 9"x9" baking pan with aluminum foil; extending the foil over the edges to assist with removing the polenta from the pan. Butter the pan and set aside.
- Add the water, salt and butter to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Gradually add the polenta, stirring constantly until thickened. Turn heat down to low and cook polenta for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the honey and lemon zest. (The polenta should be thick and creamy, but still easy to stir. If too stiff, stir in a little boiling water a tablespoon at a time.) Gently fold in the blueberries and transfer to the prepared pan. Let cool to room temperature; then refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush clean and oil grate before cooking. In a small saucepan, melt the butter for the glaze and stir in the honey. Set aside until ready to use.
- Remove polenta from pan and cut into four squares; cut each square diagonally into a triangle. Brush the tops with a little oil and place top-down on the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes and flip; liberally brush with honey butter and grill for 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate and drizzle with any remaining honey-butter.
Happy Mother’s Day and Happy Grilling!
[…] check out what we served Mom last year: Blueberry Polenta with Warm Honey Butter Glaze Spicy Orange Scented Breakfast […]
[…] Check out: Grilled Blueberry Polenta with Warm Honey Butter Glaze […]