This week’s recipe screams spring and summertime grilling! Warmer days are on the horizon, which means bbq and shorts season is about to officially start. Keeping this in mind, I wanted to share a recipe that is not only easy to prep and cook, but is full in flavor and won’t expand your waistline!
Featured in this recipe – Bull’s stainless kabob baskets, a wonderful grilling accessory that allows you to grill kabobs without skewering, a must have for the bbq and camping season!
Bull’s kabob baskets are great for the veggies that tend to fall off the skewer once grilled over the hot fire. I absolutely love grilled cherry tomatoes, but I have always been hesitant to use them on my kabobs in the past. Chances are, I would lose them to the deep, dark depths of the bottom of the bbq. With the Bull kabob basket, your days of worrying are long gone! These baskets offer a limitless ingredients list for your summertime kabobs (see video).
For this recipe I am using mild Italian sausage. Keep in mind, you can choose the sausage and veggies of your choice, making this a versatile and healthy recipe. A win, win in my book! Try using turkey sausage for a healthier kick!
- When cooking the kabobs, place the baskets on the grill so the wooden ends are hanging outside of the grill and away from the heat to avoid burning the wood. The handles will get hot so it is very important to use the Bull pit mit when handling.
- When it comes time to clean the baskets, do not place them in the dishwasher and avoid soaking. Hand wash with a mild dishwashing soap, rinse, and dry immediately. Avoid using metallic scrubbers. Periodically apply a small amount of mineral oil, or other food safe oils to the wooden handles to protect and season the wood.
- For the Marinade:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- For the Kabobs:
- 4 each mild Italian sausage, raw, cut into 1-inch rounds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into large 1-inch dice
- 1 large red onion, cut into large 1-inch dice
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch rounds
- For the Marinade: Place the ingredients for the marinade in an oversized bowl and whisk together.
- For the Kabobs: Preheat the Bull Grill on high heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the veggies to the large bowl with the marinade. Toss and coat well.
- Open the kabob baskets, alternatively place the sliced sausage and veggies, adding equal amounts into each one.
- Place the baskets onto a hot, clean grill with the wood ends hanging outside the bbq.
- Turn occasionally, and grill until the sausage is cooked through and the veggies are blistered and grill marks have formed, about 15 minutes total.
- To plate: Transfer basket ingredients to a decorative plate. Serve with rice or couscous, and enjoy!
Perfect outdoor easy dinner!
Amy Aberle-Rogan says
Couldn’t be easier to make and so delicious!