For this week’s recipe, I am changing things up a bit and putting my personal twist on a traditional salad. It is the perfect combination and balance of some of my favorites: the subtle, earthy tones from the seasonal greens; charred, smoky notes from the Bull grill; bright and vibrant flavor from the summer veggies; a sweet finish from the savory dressing. This could easily become a weekly go-to meal!
On the menu this week – grilled chicken cobb salad: baby micro arugula topped with sliced hard boiled egg, crumbled, crispy bacon, blue cheese, charred cherry tomatoes, and avocado. To finish, top with sliced grilled chicken breast and drizzled with a sweet balsamic dressing. Not too heavy, yet plentiful in ingredients, this dish will leave a lasting impression on your summertime dinner guests!
Chef’s Tips: How to grill/char the perfect avocado quarters:
- Preheat the Bull BBQ on high heat for 10 minutes.
- Using any of Bull’s grill brushes, remove all residue from the grill grates.
- Using Bull”s tongs, run an oiled rag over the hot, clean surface of the grates.
- Place the avocado flat side down and DO NOT move until char marks form on the skin, about 3 minutes of grilling. This process is important and makes it easy to turn the avocado once it is time. If turned too early, the bottom layer will stick to grill and detach itself from the avocado.
- Repeat this step on the other side of the quartered, flat surface of the avocado to finish.
- For the Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- For the Chicken & Marinade:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 lemon, juice
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 4 cups seasonal greens, micro baby arugula
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, blistered
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 3 avocados, halved, quartered, grilled
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 strips bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons oil, for brushing onto grilled vegetables
- For the dressing: In a bowl, add the balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil, taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside until time to dress the salad.
- For the chicken/marinade: In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, fresh thyme, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts into a large freezer zip lock bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken, mix well, remove all the air in the bag, seal closed and place into the fridge for 4 hours.
- For the grilled chicken: Preheat the Bull Angus Grill on medium-high heat for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Clean and oil the grates. Place the breasts over direct heat, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the breasts over and finish cooking for another 6-8 minutes. Once done, remove from heat and place onto platter to rest. Thinly slice to serve.
- For the grilled cherry tomatoes and avocado: Preheat the Angus Bull Grill on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Using the Bull basting brush, coat the cherry tomatoes and avocado with oil. Clean and oil the grates for the avocado, to avoid sticking. Place the cherry tomatoes onto the hot grill to char, around 5 minutes.. Remove from the heat, place onto platter until time to use. Place the avocado quarters onto the clean grill grates and do not move till time to fip, about 3-4 minutes. Turn the avocado onto the other side to finish grilling, another 3 minutes. Once done remove from the heat onto platter until time to make the salad.
- To plate: On a large decorative platter, create a layer of the the greens. Add the sliced chicken breasts on top of the greens. Follow with the charred cherry tomatoes and avocado. Next add the crumbled blue cheese and bacon. Finish with the hard boiled egg and top off with the balsamic dressing, salt and pepper. Eat immediately and enjoy!
♥ Chef Amy
Beautiful salad!!!!!!! Luv the BBQ twist!