This is a great summer picnic salad… and I am really not usually a big fan of pasta salads. This one, however, has a better proportion of crunchy vegetable to the amount of pasta than norm. The creamy lemon and Parmesan vinaigrette brightens lives up both the egetae and the pasta. Really, it’s more of a vegetable salad with pasta!
- 8 ounces uncooked bow-tie (farfalle) pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red onion slivers
- 1 medium yellow bell peppers, 2-inch sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Adding the broccoli florets during the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking last minute of cooking. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- In large mixing bowl, mix tomatoes, bell peppers, red onion,carrots, celery, olives, and herbs. In small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice and cheese. Add dressing mixture, pasta and broccoli to salad mixture; toss to coat. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Refrigerate covered for an hour before serving so the flavors can meld. This salad contains mayonnaise, so don't let it sit in the hot sun!
Cheers and Happy Grilling!