This is a quick and easy all-purpose barbecue sauce that truly enhances the flavor of grilled food. Simply saute some minced onions in bacon grease (aka delicious pork butter) or unsalted butter, then add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. That’s it! Even though I call it a ribs sauce, it goes great with most cuts of pork, chicken, beef, and even shrimp.
I made this Honey Bar-B-Que sauce as a side dip for my Texas Bar-B-Que Ribs that were smoked in my Bull Outdoor Bison charcoal grill. If you are set up for gas grilling or just don’t have five hours to hang out with your ribs, try grilling up these delicious Lightly Smoked BBQ Pork Ribs.
This is a high adaptable sauce… If you like you sauce on the spicier side, add some cayenne, red pepper flakes, or even chipotle powder or minced chipotles in adobo sauce. Say you’re cooking on a gas grill and you don’t have any wood chips for your smoke box – add 1/4- to 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke to get that smoky barbecue flavor. Do you love the rich flavor of molasses? You can always swap a couple tablespoons or more of honey for molasses.
This sauce is simply too easy and too delicious not to have in your grilling go-to arsenal!
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or unsalted butter
- ½ minced sweet onion
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle chili sauce - or ketchup
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping teaspoon all-purpose barbecue seasoning
- Melt bacon grease in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat for a bout 10 minutes until soft and translucent; do not let color. Add the remaining ingredients and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sauce reaches the your desired consistency. Cool until room temperature before storing in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to a couple weeks.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!