A tartine is simply French for an open-faced sandwich. I love this tartine recipe to use up leftover turkey because it doesn’t remind me of Thanksgiving. 🙂 The apricot-curry spread paired with smokiness of the grilled asparagus and bread, plus the crunch of the bacon is a great twist on the boring turkey sandwich. You can easily substitute the apricot preserves for leftover cranberries. BTW – miniature versions of this would make a great cocktail appetizer!
(Confession: I really love these. The day I made them, I had them for lunch and dinner. And again the following day straight from the fridge.)
Grilled Turkey and Asparagus Tartine with Apricot Curry Spread
Author: Jeff Parker
- For the spread:
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- For the tartine:
- 4 strips bacon
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced cooked turkey
- 4 slices good-quality rustic or country style bread
- 4 ounces Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
- Stir together the spread ingredients until well combined; set aside.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crisp, but not over cooked. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Chop when cooled. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease. Return skillet to medium heat and sauté onion until deep golden color. Stir in chopped bacon, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Toss asparagus with 2 teaspoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill asparagus on the hot, oiled grill (use a grilling basket, if desired). Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender, turning frequently. Remove and set aside.
- While asparagus is cooking, lightly brush both sides of bread with olive oil and toast for a couple of minutes on the grill. Remove and slather the toasted side with the apricot-curry spread. Top with grilled asparagus, sliced turkey, onion-bacon mixture, and cover with slices of Gruyere. Move tartine to grill and close the cover. Cook for 6-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bread is toasted.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!
[…] Turkey Leftovers: Grilled Turkey and Asparagus Tartine with Apricot Curry Spread. […]