You know how it goes: you have an amazing Thanksgiving lunch or dinner or linner, and then a few hours later you want a little more. This tartine, or open-face sandwich, is perfect for later on Thanksgiving or even over the next couple days.
I love this recipe because it is a mash-up of one of my favorite ways to eat Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey sandwich on toasted bread slathered with creamy goat cheese, freshly sliced turkey and a nice big spoonful of cranberry sauce) + the relish that I made for the burger I demo’d at the World Food Championships a couple weeks ago.
The relish is amazingly simple; quick pickled red onions and jalapeños chopped up with a bunch of bacon and just enough Dijon mustard to hold it together. (I’ll post the burger recipe in the next week or so.) I mixed this with a little leftover cranberry sauce for that prefect sweet, spicy, salty, tart, BACON-y topping to this turkey tartine!
- ½ medium red onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped... your choice whether or not to leave to seeds (I did)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 strips crisp cooked thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup leftover cranberry sauce
- Add chopped onions and jalapeños to a small mixing bow. Stir together the vinegar, brown sugar and salt until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour over the onion mixture and let soak for ½ hour. Drain and then stir in the remaining ingredients. The relish will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
For the Tartine:
Slices of rustic-style loaf bread
Extra virgin olive oil
Creamy goat cheese, softened
Freshly sliced turkey
Spicy Cranberry and Bacon Relish
Set up grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Lightly brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Place on grill and toast one side of the bread. Transfer to cutting board, slather toasted side with goat cheese and pile with sliced turkey. Return to grill toast second side of bread and to heat the sandwich through; about 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from grill, spoon on the Spicy Cranberry and Bacon Relish and EAT!
BTW – a grilled cheese sandwich made with brie, turkey and this relish would be deee-licious!! 😀
Cheers and Happy Grilling!