Ciao, my fellow foodies! My name is Chef Amy Aberle-Rogan, and I am excited about this opportunity to explore, create, and share my recipes with you. My goal is to get your creative grilling juices flowing so that you start thinking “outside or beyond the Bull BBQ Box.”
I challenge you to revisit all of your “go-to” traditional BBQ recipes. Imagine how you could expand and recreate new, delicious dishes by using my recipes as a guide to help you navigate through your new grilling adventures. I would like to take you on a journey where we use our Bull BBQs and Bull Pizza Ovens, pushing our ideas and creativity beyond all limits, finding new methods and techniques to execute deliciously grilled, fire-roasted meals on the BBQ.
My goal is for you to use my recipes as a guide. Feel free to adjust any of the ingredients to your preferences. Each week I will bring to you a new recipe, one that I may have cooked numerous times, or another that I am trying out for the first time with you as my audience. One thing you will hear me say over and over again is that I love the fact that I can cook an entire meal, down to the three berry crumble, all in my Bull Grill and/or Pizza oven. I am still amazed by the minimal mess and few dishes to clean up, which gives me more time to enjoy the meals around the table with my loved ones. I know you will love the fact that once dinner is ready, you will walk back into a kitchen that is already clean and ready for you to enjoy your meals.
To my fellow ladies out there who may be intimidated to use the grill or to cook with firewood, I am looking forward to breaking down those barriers and showing you that with the use of my recipes and plenty of practice, you too will become more comfortable grilling outside.
In my own backyard, I have converted the outdoor space into another functioning kitchen, giving myself more options to create new recipes and cooking from a different point of view. There is nothing better than a table full of my friends and family sitting outside on a warm, summer night. The pizza oven blazing in the background and Nina Simone softly playing in the distance make us feel as though we are sitting out in the Italian countryside, enjoying an amazing meal that we will all remember. I have never looked forward to the summer season more than I do this year, knowing that I will stroll through the farmer’s market for my fresh, seasonal veggies, to create fun, new recipes to share with you all.
Without further ado, my first recipe will teach you how to make delicious tacos on the Bull Angus BBQ Grill. For these tacos, I am using the Bull Sweet Heat Rub to preseason the meat. What is special about this recipe is that everything is cooked on the grill, even the warm tortillas with melted cheese! A good friend once said while enjoying my tacos, “I love the fact that the cheese is melted on the tortillas, and everything stays in place! There is nothing worse than taking a bite of a taco, and all the ingredients fall out!” You can interchange the Bull Non Stick Square Grill Pan or a cast iron grill skillet instead of cooking the meat directly on the grill for a different cooking method. Don’t forget, this recipe is simply a guide. Make sure to revisit this recipe down the road, and change up the ingredients to match the seasons and flavors your palate is craving!
Chef’s Note: If you do not use a Bull Stainless Veggie Grid, cut the veggies into large chunks so they do not fall through the grates. Once the veggies are done, chop them into smaller pieces on a cutting board, mixing the cooked onions and peppers together.
- 2 pounds flank steak, trimmed
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded, Mexican style four cheese
- 4 tbsp. Bull Sweet Heat Rub
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided half for meat and half for veggies
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large yellow onions, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced/shredded
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 medium limes, cut in half, quartered
- ¼ cup cilantro, washed, minced for garnish
- Cholula hot sauce
- Rub 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil on the flank steak, and generously season with the Bull Sweet Heat Rub. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.
- Remove the flank steak from the fridge 1 hour before grilling; place the steak on a large plate allowing it to come to room temp.
- Heat grill to high heat. Place the Bull stainless veggie grid on one side of the grill to preheat.
- Coat the grill and preheated veggie grid with non-stick spray.
- Season the flank steak with salt and pepper. Place steak on the grill rack, and grill until golden brown and slightly charred, about 8-10 minutes. Turn the steak over and cook to medium-rare, about another 8-10 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness. Once done, place on a cutting board to rest for another 15 minutes before slicing against the grain, into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Toss the julienned onions and bell peppers with 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and place onto the hot Bull stainless veggie grid to cook. Using the Bull tongs, stir the onions until completely cooked. Total cooking time is approximately 15 minutes on medium/high flame. Remove the onions once done, hold in a large metal bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Turn the heat down to low and quickly clean the grill with the Bull dual handle monster brush. Coat the grill with non-stick spray and place the corn tortillas onto the grill and evenly distribute the shredded cheese on top of the tortillas. Close the lid, and allow the cheese to melt. After 2 minutes, lift the lid, and check the tortillas for doneness. If needed, cover for another 2 minutes to finish.
- To plate, divide the sliced flank steak evenly on the tortillas (about 3 to 4 pieces of meat per taco), along with the grilled onions and peppers. Top with some shredded romaine lettuce, sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, a few shakes of cholula. Garnish with minced cilantro and a slice of lime on the plate.
Bob Rogan says
I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying Amy tacos. It makes for a wonderful evening outside by the barbecue with friends. The tacos are delicious just the right amount of spice
Amy Aberle-Rogan says
Thank you Bob Rogan! Maybe next time you can follow the recipe and make for me 🙂 I appreciate the kind words.
Made these tacos last night and great tip on melting the cheese! The flavors exploded in my mouth! I will make again, for sure!
Amy Aberle-Rogan says
Great to hear Sue! Thank you for leaving a comment. Enjoy 🙂
Amy Aberle-Rogan says
Feeling excited and lucky to be working and representing Bull! One lucky girl!!