What? You can grill breakfast sausage? This is a great spicy breakfast sausage that I came up with for serving with Mother’s Day breakfast. Slightly sweet, a little spicy and nicely flavored with a touch of orange zest. Here’s a tip: use the Bull BBQ Mini Burger Press to make perfect size sausage patties!
- 2 pounds ground pork (not sausage)
- 1 Tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground cloves
- Bull BBQ Stainless Grill Grid
- Break apart ground pork in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients; sprinkle over pork and mix to combine. Form eighteen golf ball size balls and shape into patties by hand or with the Bull BBQ Mini Burger Press. TIP: if shaping by hand, wet your hands to keep the meat from sticking to your hands. Place on a tray or plate and refrigerate at least 1 hour before cooking.
- Heat grill to medium high heat and place grilling grid on top of grates for ease of cooking; sausage patties can be cooked directly on the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until no longer pink at the center. Transfer to serving plate and serve hot or at room temperature.
Check out: Grilled Blueberry Polenta with Warm Honey Butter Glaze
Cheers and Happy Grilling!
Ted Luoma says
Reblogged this on cateritforward and commented:
I have never considered orange in my sausage, but this recipe looks scintillating. I remember there was a time when someone got chocolate in his peanut butter. That combination turned out okay. This is definitely going on my must try list. I’ll bet it’s great with redeye gravy.
Wow this combo is really unique, bet it tasted great!
Jeff Parker says
They are pretty darn tasty! Try them on a charcoal grill using mesquite hardwood! 😉