Whether you’re at Carnegie Deli in New York or Canter’s Deli in Los Angeles, there isn’t anything better than a Reuben Sandwich piled high with thinly sliced corned beef on top of Swiss cheese and sauerkraut with Russian dressing (can you tell I just had one?). Since it’s tailgate season, I thought this would be a great way to get your Reuben on in the parking lot or ready to go on a big platter. No Reuben is complete without a side of simple (read: really easy) deli-style cole slaw… and don’t forget the dill pickle spears!
I have included a pretty easy Russian dressing, but a good-quality Thousand Island will do the trick just as well.
- For the dogs:
- 4 jumbo all-beef big franks
- 4 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 8 to 12 thinly sliced corned beef or pastrami from the deli
- 4 sourdough French rolls - split
- 2 tablespoon soft butter
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, cut in ½ diagonally
- 1½ cups prepared sauerkraut - drained well
- Russian Dressing (recipe below) or store-bought Thousand Island Dressing
- For serving:
- Deli-Style Cole Slaw (recipe below)
- Dill pickle spears
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Brush and oil the grates before cooking.
- Spread each frank with 1 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard. Wrap two or three slices of pastrami around each frank. Lightly butter the inside of the rolls for toasting on the grill.
- Grill pastrami-wrapped franks on hot oiled grill 3 to 4 minutes per side (12 - 16 minutes total). In the last couple of minutes before the dogs are done, toast the rolls, buttered-side down until marked. Serve dogs hot on toasted French roll on with sliced cheese and sauerkraut and topped with Russian Dressing.
- ½ cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon grated yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared or freshly grated horseradish (not creamy style)
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
- Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. The dressing is best if made a couple hours in advance and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- 1 bag (16 ounces) tri-colored cole slaw mix
- ½ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Place cole slaw mix in a medium mixing bowl. Stir together the remaining ingredients and pour over the cabbage mix. Toss until thoroughly combined and refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!