This festive pork loin is perfect for the holiday table or buffet. I slathered a spicy, sweet and tart cranberry chutney that’s studded with orange, apricots and pistachios over the surface of roll-cut pork loin and then rolled it up like a jellyroll and secured it butcher string. The roast was seared over direct heat to get that nice smoky char on the outside and finished cooking with indirect heat. Before it went to the table, I topped it with more chutney and a sprinkle of pistachios.
Now it looks like a lot of ingredients for the chutney… and you’re right. However once you saute the shallots, it all goes into the pot and togther and takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook. Plus half of the ingredients are just measuring from a jar! And you will be rewarded with plenty of extra cranberry chutney left over for serving on the side… because trust me, you’re gonna want more. 😉
If sleigh bells are ringing, the grill has been put up til spring and you are already living in a winter wonderland, you don’t have to miss out on this delicious roast. Simply follow the directions and roast in a 375°F oven.
- For the chutney:
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- 12 ounces fresh (or unthawed frozen) cranberries
- 1 Fresno chile minced
- 1 medium unpeeled orange, seeds removed and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- 3-pound pork loin
- Kosher salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute until soft; about 5 minutes. Stir in all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the pistachios. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened and the cranberries have burst. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the pistachios and set aside. Stir the remaining nuts into the chutney and set aside to cool completely.
- Setup grill for direct and indirect grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil grates before cooking.
- Roll-cut the loin to 1-inch thickness; alternatively, butter fly the roast and pound to 1-inch thick. Season both sides of the roast with salt (about ½ teaspoon per pound) pepper and a little garlic powder. Spread the inside o f the roast with the cooled chutney leaving about a 1-inch border along one of the long sides. From the opposite long side, roll up the roast like a jellyroll. Secure with butcher's string every 1 to 2 inches.
- Sear the roast over direct heat for about 2 minutes per side (4 sides) until well-marked. Transfer to the indirect side of the grill and close the grill cover. Cook for about an hour or until the internal temperature reached 145°F.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest for 2 minutes before slicing. Serve with extra Cranberry-Pistachio Chutney.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!