Pikliz is a fiery condiment made from cabbage, vegetables and habanero chilies pickled in vinegar. Habanero chilies are the key ingredient – without them, you don’t have pikliz! Use the vegetables as a condiment on sandwiches or along side roasted meats – or as I did with this incredible Caribbean Pulled Pork that I made for the Bull Outdoor Products Grill For Good event. I even used the vinegar from the pikliz in the spicy cole slaw that was served that evening!
Pikliz has no sugar and is therefore very tart. If it is too piquant for your taste, simply stir a tablespoon or two of honey into the vinegar before adding it to the vegetables.
Note: This recipe is a variation on the one that I served. I have used a shortcut here by using prepared cole slaw mix instead of shedding the cabbage, but by all means, shred away if you’d rather! 🙂
- 6 habanero chilies, unseeded and thinly sliced*
- 3½ cups tri colored cole slaw mix
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- ½ white onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- About 2 cups apple cider or white vinegar
- Toss together all of the vegetables and pack into a 1-quart jar or glass container with a tight fitting lid. Pour in the vinegar to cover the vegetable. Seal the jar and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours before using. Will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month or more. Cook's Note: keep the vinegar and use in marinades, vinaigrettes, to make pickles, or more pikliz!
*Habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers are one of the hotter varieties of chilies and while it is actually the seeds and the veins that cause all the heat, the oils in the peppers can irritate your skin. If you have sensitive or easily irritated skin, always wear rubber gloves when seeding and chopping hot peppers.
Mr Fitz says
that looks proper lipsmacking!
Jeff Parker says
Thanks! Perfect for some of those flatbread creations!!
Mr Fitz says
They are stunning i have to admit!
Haitian Pikliz pronounced pick-leez is a very spicy cabbage slaw that is on every table for every meal in Haiti.
Amy Aberle-Rogan says
It sure is! It is delicious and a wonderful side dish for any Haitian meal1 Thank you for leaving a comment.