This week’s recipe features some of my favorite grilled veggies, a perfect appetizer that is easy to grill and doesn’t lack in flavor or texture. Check out how simple and fun grilling can be with the start of the new year on your Bull BBQ...winter grilling at its best!
This week on the menu, grilled sausage topped with charred broccolini, radicchio, and marcona almonds. Sweet pork sausage is grilled over the powerful BTU’s of the Bull BBQ, then finished with indirect heat, sealing in all the flavorful juices of the sausage. The dressed broccolini and radicchio are charred over the intense, direct heat, adding beautiful color and flavor to these winter gems. To finish, top off with flakes of shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, buttery Marcona almonds, a drizzle of your favorite evoo, and a squeeze of tart meyer lemon. Who’s going to join me??
- I prefer to use Bull’s mini skewers when it is time to cook the sausage on the grill. The skewers hold the coil shape of the sausage and prevent the sausage from breaking apart when it is time to flip it over on the Bull bbq.
- Bull’s small and medium veggie grids are the perfect accessory to use when grilling the veggies over the intense flames. The perforated holes on the stainless steel grids allow the flames to char the veggies without falling through the grill grates and down into the bottom of the grill.
- Want to know a secret how to get the perfect char on vegetables? Once the veggies are rinsed and washed under cold water, I like to leave a good amount of moisture/water on the veggies. Next dress with evoo, balsamic vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Works perfectly every time!
- 2 pounds sweet sausage, coiled, skewered
- 2 bunches baby broccolini
- 2 each radicchio, cut into half, outer leaves and center separated
- 1 meyer lemon, thinly sliced into rounds, seeds removed
- ¼ cup marcona almonds
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, high end quality
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, shavings
- Preheating the grill: Turn one side of the Bull grill on medium-high heat. Leave one or two burners on the other side off for indirect heat. Close the lid and preheat for 10 minutes.
- Dressing the veggies: In a large bowl, add the washed broccolini without shaking the water completely off. Dress with evoo, balsamic, salt and pepper and mix. Cut the radicchio into halves, breaking apart the outer leaves from the center. Wash with water, then repeat the step above. Place onto a sheet pan until time to grill.
- Grilling the sausage: Place the sausage over the direct heat and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, until nice and brown all over. Carefully flip over and grill the other side for another 3-4 minutes. Now move the sausage over to the other side of the grill to finish cooking with indirect heat, turning occasionally, around 8 minutes more.
- Grilling the veggies: Place Bull's veggie grids directly over the hot flames of the grill. Place the broccolini and radicchio onto the hot grids and allow the veggies to grill over the intense heat of the flames, turning occasionally, until charred all over, around 4-5 minutes.
- To plate: Place the grilled sausage onto Bull’s serving platter or chopping block. Add the charred broccolini and radicchio on top of the sausage. Top with parmesan shaving, marcona almonds, drizzle of evoo, squeeze of lemon and season with kosher salt and pepper. Time to devour!
♥ Chef Amy