You can always tell when it is Lent… fast food joints hang banners everywhere announcing their fish sandwich deals. Truth be told, I LOVE fried fish sandwiches. As a kid it was my go-to fast food and once in a great while, I still seek one out. This is a fantastic grilled fish sandwich that works well with a variety of fish; halibut, sea bass and cod would all be delicious here.
My intention was to make this sandwich with halibut or cod, but halibut is out of season and the fish monger just got in a shipment of this beautiful Hawaiian opah. If you are not familiar with opah, you really should be. Opah (a.k.a. moonfish) is a a meaty, buttery fish that stands up well to most preparations. I appreciate the fact that it is responsibly fished, meaning that all Hawaiian opah is line-caught. If you’d like to more about opah, check out Hawaii Seafood’s website.
- 2 pounds firm flesh fish such as opah or halibut cut into ½-inch thick pieces (if using cod or sea bass fillets, leave the skin on and remove after grilling)
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 soft ciabatta sandwich rolls or other soft bun
- Shredded lettuce, for serving
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Set up grill for direct grilling over high heat. Make sure grates are very clean and oiled before cooking.
- Squeeze half of the lemon over the fish; turn and squeeze the other half of lemon over the fish. Let set for a couple minutes. Pat fish dry with paper towels. Rub the fish with the oil and season with Old Bay. Grill over high heat until just cooked through, 1½ minutes per side. Remove fish from grill and toast buns, if desired. Slather buns with some of the Lemon-Chive Rémoulade and build sandwiches to your liking. Serve with a side of fries seasoned with Old Bay and an ice-cold beer!
- ¾ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish, not cream-style
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, packed
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoons capers, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Stir to combine all ingredients. Let sit, covered, in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!