Growing up in a Mexican restaurant one of my favorite meals was my dad’s chili rellenos. Like most ethnic cuisine, every family has a different spin on this classic. My dad would stuff a chili pepper with cheese & meat then dip the chili in an egg batter and fry it up until the outside was slightly crispy and the inside was filled with melted cheese. Although his recipe is amazing it’s a lot of work and can be a little messy. So when I have that chili relleno craving I grill up some peppers on my Bull Grill and use the same ingredients he uses to create a chili relleno casserole.
- 1/2 pound Italian frying peppers or hatch chilies roasted & deseeded
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound ground beef cooked, drained, & seasoned
- 1/4 cup bacon cooked crispy & chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Place cream cheese, cheddar cheese, eggs, spices, & heavy cream in a blender. Blend until frothy and until the mixture isn’t lumpy.
- Spread ground beef and chili peppers on a well-greased cast iron pan.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over meat & chilies.
- Place in a medium-high heat Bull Grill that has been preheated to 350°F.
- Turn center burners to low and place cast iron pan in the middle. Leave outside burners on medium-high.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the casserole is golden brown. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.