Nothing says comfort food more than homemade soup served alongside a classic grilled cheese sandwich. A buttery, crunchy melted cheese sandwich cooked low and slow, paired with a classic soup made with love, take us right back to our childhood. It’s the perfect combo to warm the soul with the damp, wet weather outside.
This week I will teach you all how to transform the holiday leftovers into a wholesome meal, all in your Bull outdoor kitchen. On the menu this week – grilled cheese with turkey soup. A classic pairing of buttery, grilled country white bread filled with melted cheddar cheese begs to be combined with a simple, yet savory, homemade chicken/turkey broth soup . Loaded with leftover shredded turkey and cut up veggies from the holiday crudite platter, say goodbye to food waste and the overlooked leftovers in your refrigerator.
I will teach you all how to create the perfect grilled cheese sandwich 🎥 🍿 using the Bull Commercial Griddle Cart. Patience is a virtue when making the perfect grilled cheese. Preheating the griddle cart on medium heat creates the perfect workspace and temperature to achieving the golden, crunchy outside on the toast. Too high of a heat will scorch and burn the bread. Check out my tips and techniques below on how to build the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
- Try cooking the buttered slices of bread separately, each loaded with a good amount of shredded melting cheese. This allows the cheese to melt evenly on the inside and a golden, crusty bread on the outside, before folding over to finish cooking.
- I like to add a light layer of mayo, spicy mustard, or even a homemade chutney on the inside slice of bread before adding the cheese on top to give the sandwich a step up in flavor and texture. A must try!!
- Make sure the butter is room temperature. The soft, creamy butter spreads on smoothly and won’t tear the bread.
- 4 slices soft bread, ½-inch thick
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Mayo, optional
- Butter, room temperature
- Preheating the griddle: Preheat the Bull Commercial Griddle on medium heat for 10 minutes. Make sure the surface area is clean using Bull’s pro style griddle cleaning tool set. Now, grease the cleaned surface area with butter.
- Cooking the grilled cheese: Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each slice of bread. Next spread the other side of both slices with mayo. Place the bread, butter side down onto the preheated griddle. Now divide the cheese evenly on top of the bread topped with mayo. Once the cheese is halfway melted and the outside of the bread starts to turn golden brown, using the Bull soft grip handle spatula, flip one slice over on top of the other. Turn the sandwich, allowing both sides of the bread to evenly cook, until they are golden brown and the cheese is melted completely.
- To serve: Cut in half and serve alongside homemade turkey soup.
- 2.5 - 3 lbs cooked turkey, white and dark meat, shredded
- 4 carrots, small dice
- 4 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Homemade broth to cover, click here for recipe
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Making the soup: Place a large soup pot on top of Bull’s side kick cart side burner and turn the heat to high. Add the butter, allowing it to melt and turn brown. Add the onions, cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, salt and pepper and saute for another 5 minutes. Add the homemade stock, shredded turkey meat and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 15 minutes, or until carrots are soft and tender. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed with more salt and pepper.
- To serve: Stir the soup, mixing all the ingredients, and using a ladle, pour the hot soup into a bowl. Serve alongside homemade grilled cheese. Enjoy!
♥ Chef Amy