Baking in/on/around the grill? Sounds counter intuitive, I know. Believe me, it works and someday when your oven is full, you’ll thank me. 🙂 These muffins are moist, tender, and full of corn flavor. The addition of the cranberries and jalapenos make them the perfect addition to a grill-centric holiday table… or just because! I have to say, they’re pretty amazing!
Corn Muffins with Cranberries and Jalapeños
Author: Jeff Parker
Serves: 18 Muffins
Corn muffin recipe adapted from Baking: From My Home To Yours, by Dorrie Greenspan, 2006
- 1½ cup fresh cranberries, halved
- ¼ cup + ½ cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) corn kernels
- 2 Tablespoons seeded and finely chopped jalapeños
- Preheat and stabilize your grill temperature for medium-high indirect heat (no heat source under the muffin tin) at 400°F. Line muffin tins with baking cups and set aside.
- Toss the halved cranberries with ¼ cup sugar and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined; make a well in the center and set aside. Lightly beat the eggs and then whisk in the buttermilk, melted butter, and corn oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined; there will be some lumps, and that’s okay. Fold in the cranberries, corn, and jalapeños. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Fill the lined muffin cups three-quarters full. Bake in you pre-heated, covered grill for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden and a tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes away clean. Transfer to a wire baking rack to cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!
Can’t wait to make these. I wish I could eat one of these with a little butter now. WOW!
Jeff Parker says
Soooo worth it! I pretty much always like the foods that I make (at least final recipe), but often I’m kinda “over it” by the time the recipe is right. However, every now and then… I have to tell you when these came off the grill, I slathered on some butter and, well, I’m a little embarrassed by how many I ate. 🙂