We are fired up for tailgate season here at Bull BBQ and what better to kick it off than hot wings?! Prep the night before the big game for big flavor. These wings are bold, smoky, and spicy – but not debilitating – perfect for game day.
Author: Jeff Parker
- 4 lbs chicken wings, separated or not at the joints – you decide
- 1 can (7 oz.) chipotles en adobo*
- Grated zest and juice from 2 oranges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro leaves and stems, plus more for garnish
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle chile powder or regular chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano or marjoram
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) very cold butter, cut into several small pieces
- Put wings in a large zip-top bag. Add all the ingredients - from the canned chipotles through the Mexican oregano - into a food processor and give it a good blitz to form a loose paste. With the motor running, slowly pour in the oil. Once combined, measure out ⅓ cup marinade and reserve covered in the refrigerator for later. Scrape remaining marinade into the bag with the wings, squeeze out the excess air and seal the bag. Massage around until everything is combined and coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for at a minimum 3 hours or as long as overnight.
- Remove wings from marinade and shake off any excess; discard the marinade. Allow wings to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes to take the chill off.
- Set up your grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Make sure your grates are cleaned and oiled before you start cooking. Grill for 12 to 18 minutes or until cooked though, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, on your side burner combine the ⅓ cup of reserved marinade and red wine vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Whisk in the butter a little at a time until all in and combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove wings from the grill and toss with the sauce. Transfer to a platter and garnish with cilantro.
- *Chipotles en adobo are smoked jalapeno peppers that are canned in a Mexican adobo sauce. They can be found in the Mexican section of most supermarkets or at MexGrocer.com
Cheers and Happy Grilling!
Big wing fan Jeff … thanks for sharing. Will be trying this at the tailgate !! 🙂
Jeff Parker says
Me too! Let me know what you think. Cheers!
ABSOLUTELY !!! 🙂