Succulent scallops, smoky cedar planks, and the intense heat from a wood-fired pizza oven…this week’s recipe already has my mouth watering. Bull’s extra large pizza oven is the perfect addition for this Fall season settling upon us. From sweet, to savory, and from quick-fired to slow cooked dishes, cooking with fire in your outdoor pizza oven not only takes us back to basics, but opens up a whole new culinary adventure with your family and friends.
This week’s menu, cedar planked scallops topped with blistered cherry tomatoes and lemon infused olive oil. Simple, yes, but the intense flavors and textures knock this dish out of the park.
- Bull’s cedar wood grilling planks are perfect when it comes to infusing food with the flavor of smoked cedar, making them great for seafood and filets of fish. Don’t forget Bull’s stainless plank server when it comes time for plating. These reusable trays can be served directly from the grill to the table.
- If using the cedar planks on a grill top, I like to keep a spray bottle of water close by in case the wood ignites. Just spray and the fire is out in no time.
- I like to soak the planks anywhere from 1 to 3 hours prior to use. The instructions are written directly on the board at the bottom of the plank, easy to read and follow. When cooking, the planks will bow in the center a bit and the edges will turn black, due to the intense heat penetrating the wood.
- 16 sea scallops
- 2 cedar grilling planks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided in half
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, freshly picked
- Lemon infused olive oil, to drizzle over cooked tomatoes and scallops
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to season the scallops
- Building the Fire: Preheat the Bull pizza oven to 450 - 500 degrees. Allow the fire to burn about 30 minutes until embers start to form.
- Blistered Cherry Tomatoes: Place the seasoned cast iron pan into the fire. Be sure to have the Bull pit mit on your hand to avoid burning your fingers. Allow the pan to get nice and hot until smoking, around 5 minutes. In a bowl add the washed tomatoes and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Using Bull’s pro perforated peel, carefully bring the hot skillet to the front of pizza oven and add the tomatoes. Let them sizzle for about a minute and using the pit mit, grab the handle and rotate the tomatoes in the pan, swirling around. The tomatoes will be done in about 4 minutes. Place onto a half sheet pan once finished and to avoid them from overcooking and becoming too mushy in the skillet.
- Cedar Planked Scallops: Remove the planks from the water and pat dry. On a separate sheet pan, place the scallops and pat dry. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper to season. Place 8 scallops onto each cedar plank. Using the peel, carefully place the planks with the scallops on top in the opposite corner of the fire. Allow the scallops to cook for about 5 minutes (around 500 degrees) before rotating them and cooking for another 5 minutes (10 minutes total cooking time). Depending on how hot the fire is, the scallops may take longer to cook if the internal temperature of the pizza oven is not as hot (around 400 degrees).
- To Plate: Remove the planks from the fire and set onto the Bull stainless plank saver to present to your dinner guests. To finish, add the blistered cherry tomatoes, drizzle of lemon infused olive oil and pinch of your favorite salt on top and devour! Don’t forget the bubbles.
♥ Chef Amy
p.s. Bull’s extra large pizza oven would make the perfect holiday gift this season!!