This recipe has been bouncing around my head for a while. Originally I was going to make it with fresh okra when I discovered how delicious grilled okra is. I decided to make it with pickled okra instead, because the vinegar highlights the Cajun spices and also cuts the richness of the Andouille sausage.
For serving, I came up with a basic rémoulade sauce that I spiced up with Tabasco and Cajun spice. OOOO WEEE!
I used the Cajun Rub from Bull Outdoor Products, but you can use your favorite Cajun or Creole spice blend. Go easy on the Cajun blend and make sure you taste as you go when making the rémoulade sauce. A lot of spice blends, Cajun or otherwise, are loaded with salt.
- 24 large shrimp -peeled, deveined with tails on - about 1½ pounds
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 12 ounces Andouille sausage, pre-cooked
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 jar (16-ounces) pickled okra
- Spicy Rémoulade Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 5 dashes Tabasco sauce, or more
- Flat blade metal skewers or bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for 1 hour
- Combine shrimp, olive oil, juice and zest from the lemon, and the Cajun rub in a large bowl. Toss together until the shrimp are well coated and the spice hass been dispersed throughout. Set aside in the refrigerator while prepping the other ingredients.
- Make the rémoulade sauce by stirring together the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasoning with Cajun spice and Tabasco. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Will keep for up to one week.
- Slice the Andouille sausage into pieces the same thickness as the shrimp, about ½-inch. Cut the bell peppers into ½- x 1-1/2-inch pieces. Remove the shrimp from the refrigerator. Thread the shrimp, sausage, peppers, and okra onto the skewers. Set aside in the refrigerator while the grill gets hot.
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium high heat. Brush and oil grates before cooking.
- Place skewers on the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes total, turning once. Remove from grill and serve immediately with the spice rémoulade sauce.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!