I think we have pretty covered the four food groups here… ’nuff said. 🙂
These beans are easily adaptable to the oven. Prepare as directed and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish or prepare in an oven-proof skillet. Place on foil lined baking sheet and transfer to preheated to a 400°F oven.
NOTE: This can all be made in the skillet, but it gets pretty close to overflowing. It’s better to combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl as directed and transfer back to the skillet.
- 1 pound smoked bacon
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cans (28 oz.) baked beans, thoroughly drained
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup spicy brown mustard, I used Gulden's
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup lager style beer, I used Longboard... 'cuz it's delicious!
- Set aside 4 strips of bacon and chop the remaining bacon into 1-inch pieces. Cook the chopped bacon in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high direct heat long enough to the render fat from the bacon, browned but not crispy. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to large mixing bowl. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and add the diced onion to the skillet and saute in bacon grease until soft. Transfer onions to the mixing bowl with the bacon and stir to combine with the remaining ingredients. Transfer back into the skillet. Arrange the reserved bacon over the top of the beans, cutting to fit as necessary. Place the skillet back over the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Slide the skillet over to the indirect side of the grill, close the grill cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the beans have somewhat thickened. Remove from heat and serve hot or at room temperature.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!