I’m not one to jump on the culinary bandwagon just because something is trendy. However, I can definitely see why beautifully blistered shishito peppers are all the rage and appearing on menus everywhere. They are insanely easy to grill on a Bull Grill and full of great flavor. Lightly tossed in extra virgin olive oil and served with grilled lemon, everything bagel seasoning, and flake salt they have quickly become a favorite at my house.
Shishito peppers are from East Asia and are very very mild (although every once in a while you will come across a spicy one in disguise)! Not only tasty but shishito peppers are also healthy and thought to help with weight control, cancer prevention, and assist in digestive health. The peppers are also high in vitamin C which is never a bad thing!
Although a dipping sauce would pair amazingly with the Shishito peppers I find that all they really need is a little grilled lemon juice. The flavor of the grilled lemon adds just a little extra complexity to this symphony of flavor.
I’ve tried using Kosher salt but I find that finishing off the Shishito peppers with flake salt really adds to the overall experience. Flake salt contains larger and crunchier crystals that are visually appealing but won’t over-salt the peppers.
Using a grilling grid works awesome (so I don’t lose any peppers) but I also grill the peppers directly on my Bull Gas or Charcoal Grill. The key is to watch the peppers and once they change color and become “blistered” they are ready to eat.
- 1 lb Shishito Peppers
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp flake salt
- 1 tsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 Lemon
- Toss Shishito peppers and lemon in olive oil.
- Place peppers and lemon on Bull Grill preheated to medium heat.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until peppers begin to change color and blister. Grill lemon until it has grill marks, about 8 minutes
- Remove from heat and place peppers in a bowl. Toss ingredients together with squeezed grilled lemon juice, salt, and everything bagel seasoning.
- Serve hot and enjoy!