Bacon Good: Smoky Bacon Wrapped Trout
Author: Jeff Parker
Recipe type: Direct heat
Serves: 4 to 6
- 4 whole trout, cleaned and dressed
- Kosher and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 thin slices of lemon
- 8 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 12 slices of smoked bacon
- Bull Rectangular Flexi Grilling Basket
- Lightly season trout inside and out with salt and pepper. Cut lemon slices in half and place 4 half slices of lemon, two sprigs of thyme, and a few pieces of sliced garlic in the cavity of each trout. Wrap each trout with three slices of bacon and place in the grilling basket. Alternatively, secure bacon with butcher’s twine or toothpicks if grilling directly on the grate.
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Oil grate when ready to start cooking, whether or not you are using the grill basket.
- Place whole fish on grill. Cook for a total of 15-20 minutes, turning every 3-4 minutes. Watch for flare-ups from bacon slices.
- Remove from grill and serve.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!
I’m a big griller and I’m loving your grilling recipes…especially this one. Trout is delicious by itself, but add lemon, thyme, garlic, and bacon? You’re brilliant, Jeff! 🙂 I’m adding this to my to-do list!
Jeff Parker says
Thank you so much, Bill. That means a lot coming from you! Trout is was the first fish that I loved to eat when I was a boy. My mother would broil is with a little butter, lemon and Italian seasoning. This is really my version bumped up a bit. 🙂 Thanks again!