You’ve gone to all of the trouble to create amazing burgers and other and other fixin’s for you Fourth of July cookout; don’t settle for any plain ol’ ketchup and yellow mustard. Try these bumped up versions and take those burgers to another level. In the back: Cranberry Grainy Mustard and Chipotle Ketchup; center: Bourbon and Brown Sugar Mustard; front: Lemon Curry Ketchup and Harissa Yogurt Spread. Wait until you get a look at the sixth spread…
These are better is done the day ahead so the flavors have time to meld. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week if they contain fresh ingredients or several months if the additions are dry or bottled citrus.
Unless indicated, all you have to do is combine and stir!
Cranberry Grainy Mustard
1/2 cup cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon pureed chipotle en adobo
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Bourbon & Brown Sugar Mustard
1/4 cup grainy mustard
1/4 cup brown mustard
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Lemon Curry Ketchup
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 tsp curry powder
Harissa Yogurt Spread
1/2 c. Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp. Sriracha (or other hot chili paste)
juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp.)
For this last one, I honestly had a hard time not spooning it straight into my mouth! Serve it on your burger, your fries, whatever!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grained Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Truffle oil
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice in a bowl. Finely mince garlic; leaving it on your cutting board. Sprinkle the kosher salt over the top of the garlic. Using the side of your chef's knife, smash and drag the garlic. The salt will act as an abrasive and turn the garlic into a paste. This is called 'creaming' the garlic. Add the creamed garlic to the bowl and stir to combine ingredients. Add ½ teaspoon of the truffle oil and stir to combine. Taste and add more if you'd like.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!