This is one of my favorite (okay, another one) ways to serve and eat corn-on-the-cob! It is a take on the classic elotes or Mexican street corn only without the mayonnaise. A delicious compound butter (another favorite) simply made from chili powder, lime zest and a little lime juice is slathered over the hot corn and then sprinkled with crumbled Cotija cheese.
I have a fairly salty plate and I am always looking for easy ways to cut out a little sodium where I can and won’t really notice. Corn-on-the-cob for me is always better the buttery-er and salty-er it is. 🙂 This compound butter is made with unsalted butter and then salted to taste. I always use Gebhardt chili powder because I think it has the best flavor on the market (no sodium) plus the acidity of lime really enhances the flavor. All it might need is a pinch of salt to round it out – you be the judge. The Cotija cheese is a little salty layer of flavor in the same way feta or Parmesan would.
Regardless… This corn is fantastic and will definitely be on the table this Memorial Day!
- For the Chili-Lime Butter:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chili powder - I used Gebhardt
- 1 medium lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Perfect Grilled Corn (click to see how)
- 1 cup Cotija or feta cheese, crumbled
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
- For the butter: Add butter and chili powder to a mixing bowl. Finely grate the lime zest into the bowl with a Microplane and then cut the lime in and squeeze in half of the juice. Beat together with an electric hand mixer until well-blended (may also use a fork). Transfer butter mixture to a sheet of parchment paper, wax paper, or plastic wrap. Fold paper over and roll into a cylinder; twist the ends tightly to form a log. Wrap in foil and chill until firm. Slice and serve as needed. Butter will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Grill the corn over medium direct heat. Click here for my post on Perfect Grilled Corn.
- To serve: Slather corn with chili-lime butter, sprinkle with the Cotija cheese and garnish with the chopped cilantro. Serve hot with lime wedges for squeezing.
Cheers and Happy Grilling!