Brocco… what? Broccolini looks similar to broccoli and is often mistaken for young broccoli. In fact, it is a hybrid of broccoli and kai-lan which is a form of Chinese kale. It has long thin stems and makes a great alternative to asparagus as your “go-to green vegetable” on the grill and is just as easy to prepare.
- 2 bunches broccolini, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set up grill for medium-high direct heat grilling. Brush and oil grates before cooking.
- Trim the end of the broccolini and set aside on a small sheet pan. Whisk together the oil, lemon zest, garlic, and and cayenne. Drizzle over the broccolini and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Grill the broccolini, turning every couple minutes until the stems are marked and tender; about 6 to 8 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks. Serve hot
Cheers and Happy Grilling!